Chico, Calif.—On Wednesday night we aired a story where neighbors expressed their frustrations to the Jesus Center, saying that the homeless are constantly roaming their streets.
Both neighbors and the Jesus Center agree that they need to re-locate, and soon the city will resume the discussion of possibly making that happen.
The neighbors complained that the homeless are using the bathrooms in their backyards, stealing from them, and more.
They say the Jesus Center is the magnet attracting them all to the neighborhood.
"It's getting out of hand," said one neighbor.
Cootsona said for the last two years she has been trying to relocate the center.
"We have grown too big, the complexity of homelessness is way different today than it was in 1998 when we moved out of Park Avenue and in over here. And this is not the right place," Cootsona said.
For months now, Cootsona has been trying to move the center to city-owned property near the Torres Shelter right by the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds.
"This consolidated services approach could potentially be a vital key in allowing us to service this public the best we possibly can," said Mark Orme, Chico City manager.
Orme said that this coming Tuesday the council will discuss every aspect of this possible relocation.
Although last night's meeting at the Jesus Center got tense, Orme said it's important that residents are vocal with their concerns.
"That type of public discourse where we can better understand where the community is on issues, it makes the job for the city council members that much easier to know where the public stands," Orme said.
- Jesus Center Relocation Still a Possiblility
- Jesus Center Relocation Efforts Move Forward
- Chico City Council approves concept to relocate Jesus Center
- Jesus Center in Chico halt plans to relocate for now
- Neighbors: Jesus Center Out-Of-Compliance, Jesus Center Disagrees
- Chico activates emergency warming center at Jesus Center, Nov. 28
- Chico community employment center to relocate
- Some public outcry against plans to move Jesus Center
- Jesus Center to cut food waste while upping service & quality
- Neighbors Fed up with Issues Around the Jesus Center