PARADISE, Calif. - One of the most dangerous intersections in Paradise became much safer today, all because of a simple traffic signal.
That intersection is Clark road and Skyway. It's seen a lot of crashes in recent years.
On Monday, crews put the finishing touches on what they call a "signal modification project."
They hope replacing a yield sign with a signal light - will make the intersection much safer.
After reviewing collision data, the Paradise Town Council deemed this area as problematic.
A couple of serious collisions even happened between the time the project was approved and when construction began.
"Today's changes is about improving safety and signalizing the yield movement, so where there's a red-yellow-green indicator letting people know when it's safe to move forward and go," said the Public Works Director, Marc Mattox.
Skyway and Clark road is the busiest intersection in Paradise. 16,000 cars travel through every day.
The yield sign for drivers turning onto Skyway had been confusing.
Sharon Winchester, resident of Paradise said, "Well any extra street lights we can get for safety is really great. A lot of people come up- this road and turn right onto Skyway so that is necessary."
The public works director said the community has been a part of this project from the beginning.
The town of Paradise asked for suggestions for safety improvement back in May, and this intersection received the most comments.
Now that the new signal is in place, the public works director is suggesting drivers take precautions to keep Clark and Skyway collision free and safe.
"If this is your route to work be extra careful as you're going through, there will be some changes in the 'q' lengths especially for Clark road, so if you could be extra careful watch for vehicles in front of you and just drive safe as you're driving home," Mattox said.
Todays improvements totaled $23,000.
- Improvements to Skyway and Clark Intersection
- Skyway Reopens After Fatal Crash
- Delays Expected on Skyway for Guardrail Replacement
- UPDATE: Rollover crash on Skyway leads to one mans death
- 2 car crash leaves 1 dead near Skyway
- Trash is a growing problem on the Skyway
- CHP: Fertilizer spray truck crashes on the Skyway, traffic affected
- Skyway Spot Fires, Burning Suspended for 2 Days
- Man Dies After Car Hits Median on Skyway
- Westbound Skyway Closed for Bridge Repair at Butte Creek