A big change is in the works for one of the oldest businesses in Chico.
Christian & Johnson, the flower and gift shop started in 1907 by one of Annie Bidwell’s gardeners is moving to a new location.
Owner Melissa Heringer says the business has outgrown its site on Valambrosa.
She says there's a lot of tradition that goes with the storied business, and it's still valued in this community.
She says, “Our staff is wonderful, they've been here for a long time, they understand the history, the importance of customer service. We really feel like our customers are our family, they're a community and we all feel like we have a stake in C&J and we just love this business.
Heringer says the new location on East Avenue and Neal Dow was actually a family home built in the 1940's and when they're done with some major renovations it will proudly house the hundreds of hand-picked gifts, artworks and carefully selected flowers from local growers.
And that's the whole point to keep the small business feeling like home.
The Vallambrosa location will stay open until the new location is ready to go, as soon as this July.
- Iconic Christian & Johnson set to move locations
- Comcast is moving to a new location
- Chico Icon Moriss Taylor dies
- Chico man arrested for arson in Christian & Johnson Co. parking lot
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care
- Chico Facebook group recognizes local "Icons"
- Iconic Chico murals at risk of fading
- Runaway Chico teenager located
- This is what makes Notre Dame cathedral so iconic
- Open House for Johnson Park Project