CHICO, Calif. - A teacher can have an incredible influence on a child's life, even beyond the classroom.
"With a limited time in a day there's only so much change we can make," said teacher Dan Linville.
As a science teacher at Bidwell Junior High, Dan Linville's struggle is one shared by many educators - wanting so badly to make a difference for every student, year after year.
Linville said, "I think the reason I'm passionate is the ability of helping kids - but you don't necessarily know you're helping them at the time."
That was the case with Jenasee Parmeter, a student struggling to adjust after moving to Chico from Mexico.
"I was behind on all my classes. He was really patient, and now I'm caught up in all of my classes. and I'm now enrolled in the National Society of Scholars. He's just helped me out a lot," added Parmeter.
"You don't know exactly what's happening at home, where the kids are coming from," said Linville.
Jenassee says her teacher's support made the cultural and academic transition so much smoother.
"What makes a good teacher is that they talk to you - they don't just give you the work but they talk to you and help you through the work," said Parmeter.
Linville explained that his vocation involves much more than teaching, which he says is the easy part.
"It's helping kids dealing with the things that they brought from home into the classroom," said Linville.
Linville said hearing about the impact he's had on Jenasee's life is the greatest gift he could ask for.
"Trying to give that guidance, that support, the third parent that stood behind and said you can do it, is important says Linville. "You might fail a few times," he said, "but it's what's at the end of the road that's what's important."
Acts of Human Kindess is produced in partnership with Dignity Health
- Human Kindness: Student Credits Bidwell Jr. Teacher Dan Linville for Success
- Human Kindness Series: 3rd grader donates handmade pillows
- Bidwell Bark Tomorrow in Chico
- Changes for Bidwell Park Barbecuers
- Spike in Bidwell Yellowjacket Stings
- Celebrate the holidays with the Bidwells
- Celebrate the Holidays with the Bidwells
- Second annual 'Santa Shuffle' at Bidwell Park
- Bidwell Mansion Tours Available on Fridays
- Caper Acres Ribbon Cutting in Bidwell Park