It has been four years since Chico State nursing student Kristina Chesterman was tragically killed while riding her bicycle home from the library.
Now, her parents, and a handful of Chico State nursing students are making Kristina’s dream a reality.
Kristina Chesterman is breathing new life into the community of Ozu Abam in Nigeria.
Even 4 years after her death, the clinic built in honor of the Chico State nursing student is finally complete and already impacting life and health.
Kristina’s father David recently returned from the clinic and brought back a story of healing:
“I returned from Africa on Thursday night. The Kristina Chesterman Memorial Hospital is officially open for business! It is truly a beautiful facility and is now the primary building of the Upon This Rock Medical Center, providing full operating capabilities. Several nursing students from the current class as well as two of Kristina’s classmates attended the two week medical mission in Ozu Abam and tended to well over a thousand patients during their stay, including emergency traumas related to automobile and motorcycle accidents that occurred while we were there. I am in awe of the dedication, skill and kindness of the nurses and am so grateful that they chose to spend their holiday break from school helping those in need. They are true heroes. The pictures show the entrance to the hospital and the waiting room, two operating theatres, the pharmacy, a hallway leading to the dental office, laboratory, eye center and break room. (That was my favorite place.) Many other pics included to give u a flavor for the trip. I want to thank everyone for your support for this effort. Without your support we could not have done this. There are two doctors and five nurses working full time at the hospital providing medical care to thousands who had virtually no access to basic medical care in the recent past, even in the case of accidents and broken bones. We will continue to raise money to pay for the ongoing operational costs, including salaries, for this hospital.”
- Hospital in Nigeria dedicated to life of Kristina Chesterman opens its doors
- Kristina Chesterman Memorial Event planned for Monday
- Race held in memory of Kristina Chesterman, woman killed in fatal DUI crash
- Cases could open door to pension cuts for California workers
- Senior Life Solutions Offered at Orchard Hospital
- Boko Haram extremists release 13 hostages to Nigeria
- New trampoline business its doors in Chico
- Chico Police support Next Door App
- Hillary Clinton tells friends she's leaving 2020 door open
- Vancouver Non-Profit Goes Door-to-Door to Deliver Gifts to Paradise and Magalia Residents