REDDING, Calif - “There is little anyone could say today or do tomorrow that would compare to the standard Jeremy has set for us.”
Redding fire fighter Jeremy Stoke gave the ultimate sacrifice while protecting lives during the Carr Fire.
The man who left vacation early, to aid in the fire, was honored by hundreds on Saturday who came from all corners of the city, state and beyond to say thank you and a final goodbye.
One by one friends and colleagues went up to share their memories, love and gratitude for the bald, San Francisco Giants loving, tattoo wearing , rock listening father, husband and hero.
"Aubrey was his princess," said one friend "Aubrey had Jay wrapped around her fingers since the moment he missed that hunting trip the day that she was born and no matter what she did or the trouble she got into. Jay always had to finish the conversation with his laugh. Jay you will forever be our hero. "
But in the end, as uniform wearing men and women were brought to tears, and eyes watered throughout the auditorium Stoke’s fire crew ended the service with heartfelt words and prayers to the family he leaves behind.
“And give the best in me, to guard my neighbor and protect his property. And if according to Your will I have to lose my life,
Please bless with Your protecting hand my children and my wife."
- Honoring a Fallen Carr Fire Hero
- Community to Honor Fallen Chico Fire Captain
- Chico Community Honors Fallen Fire Captain
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico
- Massive Carr Fire Tornado Kills Local Firefighter and Hero
- Father-Daughter Duo Dubbed Heroes After Helping in Carr Fire
- Carr Fire Traffic Updates
- DONATE: Carr Fire Relief
- Carr Fire Television Special
- Carr Fire Thief Sentenced