UPDATED Wednesday, February 28th, 2018: 24 year old Christopher Braun made a not guilty plea in Butte County Superior Court Wednesday morning, before his attorney expressed doubt about the Chico transient's competency to stand trial.
He was accused of beating up a 90 year old man who had been walking to the post office on Vallombrosa Avenue on February 10, 2018. A Good Samaritan followed Braun into Bidwell Park after the attack and reported his location to Chico police, who arrested him for the assault. (Here is a link to the story by Action News Now reporter Laura Eng)
Judge Merrifield suspended the case until April 4th, 2018 at 8:30 a.m., when the court expected to get a doctor's report back that would show whether he is competent to stand trial or not.
Braun has been charged with two felonies. One is for causing abuse likely to produce injury of an elder. The other is for assault likely to produce great bodily injury. If Braun is guilty, he would get an additional year term on each felony county due to having a prior felony conviction.
Wednesday morning in court the man accused of punching an elderly man in the face goes back before a judge.
24-year old Christopher Braun is expected to enter his plea on felony elder abuse.
Police say, the homeless man was unprovoked when he attacked a 90 year old man on Vallombrosa Avenue.
The man says he didn’t know Braun and was simply walking past him to the post office when he was punched and knocked to the ground.
- UPDATED: Homeless man who allegedly assaulted elderly man in Chico pleaded not guilty, but competency challenged
- Man Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Employee at the Chico Mall
- Paradise Elderly Man Found
- UPDATE: Deputies Found Missing Elderly Man
- Chico homeless man killed in Hit & Run
- Tehama Co. man arrested for allegedly assaulting two women
- A Chico man pleads guilty in federal court to filming sexual abuse of a child.
- Man Accused of Killing Woman on Chico State Campus Pleads Not Guilty
- UPDATE: Chico man hits wife with car
- Colusa man pleads guilty to killing migratory birds