CHICO, Calif. - It's not unusual to hear about deadly crashes on Highway 99, the most recent one last Friday near Garner Lane.
"It's definitely backed up all the time sometimes it takes you about three light cycles just to get through," An employee with Code Three Coffee said.
She, who didn't want to be named, said traffic in the area isn't unusual.
"We see a lot of people going through here really quickly most semis will just kind of lay on their horn and go through the red light if they don't have time to stop and that's a little bit scarier cause if somebody was coming from the other direction they'd just get hit," she said.
"Sometimes they can't stop as quickly as other cars and you do hear them hitting the loud horn that would where they let everyone know they're going through but not everyone knows to stop when they hear that," Rhiley Harrison, an employee at Down Range said.
CHP told Action News Now the number of crashes on Hwy 99 near Garner Lane has more than doubled in the past year - from 9 to 22.
"I feel like with the traffic now a lot of people are more worried about getting somewhere quickly than safely I guess I would say," Harrison said.
Cal Trans says some of the traffic on Highway 99 North stems from trucks hauling debris to a disposal site in Anderson.
They requested funding from Cal OES for a traffic study at the intersection, to see if any safety modifications can be made.
"It's something that we're almost used to here cause there's a lot of crashes on 99 that ended up having emergency personnel go by here," Harrison said.
"It's definitely scary it makes me a little nervous about driving home when I leave here - traffics been crazy recently here so," coffee employee said.
CHP encourages people to minimize distractions while driving and most importantly wear your seatbelt.
- Highway 99 increased collisions
- Authorities see major spike in collisions on Highway 99
- 5 car collision on Highway 99 and Southgate Ave.
- Highway 99 Reopens After Flooding
- Big-Rig Versus Truck Collision Halts Traffic at Intersection of Highway 99 and Esplanade
- Highway 99 shutdown due to suicidal man
- Victim Identified in Highway 99 Crash
- Car Catches Fire on Highway 99
- Victim Identified in Deadly Highway 99 Crash
- Woman Fights off Kidnapper on Highway 99