WASHINGTON - FBI Director Christopher Wray facing the wrath of Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee after a scathing report on FBI missteps in the Hillary Clinton email investigation.
"Director Wray has quite a mess to clean up," said Senator Chuck Grassley.
Republicans were eager to hear from the report's author, Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horwitz. He found five FBI agents had an anti-trump bias.
Lisa Page and Peter Strzok exchanged texts about stopping a Trump Presidency.
"We found the implication that senior FBI employees would be willing to take official action to impact a presidential candidate's election prospects to be deeply troubling," said Michael Horowitz, the inspector general.
But Democrats point to the independent watchdog's finding that former FBI director James Comey's investigation was ultimately not driven by politics and that Trump benefited.
"Nothing warrants attacks that we are seeing on the FBI, Justice Department or Robert Mueller's investigation," said Senator Diane Feinstein.
President Trump disagrees, tweeting "Comey gave Strozk his marching orders. Mueller is Comey's best friend. Witch hunt!"
Wray promises lessons have been learned.
"Mistakes made by those few employees do not define our 37,000 employees and the work they do every day," Wray said.
President Trump claims the report is a total exoneration.
Which Horowitz says is not true - because it didn't focus on the Russia investigation.
- Hearing on FBI Missteps in Hillary Clinton Email Investigation
- Hillary Clinton Endorses Chico City Council Candidate
- Hillary Clinton reads from Mueller report in new video
- FBI didn't tell US targets as Russian hackers hunted emails
- Hillary Clinton tells friends she's leaving 2020 door open
- Hillary Clinton rules out 2020 run, but says 'I'm not going anywhere'
- New York AG opens investigation into Facebook over email contact collection
- Consumer Report says: beware of email scam
- FBI Improves Tip-Line Protocols
- Miss America leadership resigns in email shaming scandal