REDDING, Calif. - Cal OES says that hazardous waste cleanup for the Carr Fire is one-third complete.
Out of 1,015 sites registered for cleanup, 330 have been completed. This amounts to 163,000 tons of hazardous waste material cleaned up already in the process.
There are 39 crews from Cal OES and Cal Recycle have been working six days a week to clean up materials like contaminated soil, debris and ash burned by the Carr Fire.
"We're a third done, we'll be done certainly this Winter, hopefully by the end of 2018," said Pat Minturn, director of Shasta County Recovery. "We will start out next year at the contractor's level, a full slate of construction no doubt."
The majority of waste collected so far is debris, ash and soil. To date, more than 112,000 tons have been cleaned up.
Out of $72 million allotted for cleanup, $31.5 million has been spent as of October 11.
The ongoing costs for the project are about $1.4 million.
Cal OES said that there are about 50 homes that have not opted in or out of the debris removal process, but there is still time to sign up and encourage residents to do so.