Photo Gallery 4 Images
GRIDLEY, Calif. - A traffic stop in Gridley on Wednesday morning ended in the arrest of one man and the seizure of drugs, weapons and cash.
Gridley-Biggs Police Officer Anthony Lara stopped the driver of a Dodge pickup truck for an equipment violation in the Burger King parking lot off Highway 99 on June 24.
During the 9 a.m. stop, Officer Lara determined there could be illegal drugs in the truck. A search of the vehicle turned up two loaded handguns, 135 grams of methamphetamine, close to 16 grams of cocaine, metal knuckles, two illegal knives and several pounds of marijuana.
The driver of the vehicle was identified as 40-year-old Jeffrey Lopez. Police say Lopez was a convicted felon and not allowed to possess a firearm. Officer Lopez also found more than $14,000 in cash in the truck.
The Butte Interagency Narcotics Task Force was called in to continue the investigation and Lopez was arrested on the following charges:
- possession for sales of methamphetamine
- possession for sales of cocaine
- possession of a controlled substance while armed
- transportation of a controlled substance
- felon in possession of ammunition
- carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle
- felon in possession of a firearm
- carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle
- possession of metal knuckles
- possession of a switchblade in a vehicle
- possession of drug paraphernalia
Lopez is currently being held at the Butte County Jail on $285,000 bail.