Butte County, Calif. --
California Governor Gavin Newsom is set to travel to Butte County to tour areas burned by the Camp Fire and meet with local leaders and survivors.
In a press release, the Governor says he will meet at Pine Ridge Elementary School in Magalia at 12:45 p.m. Thursday. This is one day after the Governor signed a package of fire recovery and emergency response bills.
The Governor says AB 72 and AB 73 provide emergency funding to local governments like those in Butte County which have been rocked by recent California wildfires. By backfilling local property taxes, the funding allows schools to reopen, and local government to stay afloat and begin rebuilding efforts.
The new funding will help keep kids in classrooms at schools like Pine Ridge Elementary, a recently reopened school that many students who survived the Camp Fire now attend. On Thursday afternoon, Governor Newsom will be at the school, meeting with local leaders who are directing recovery efforts and talking to students who were uprooted by the fire.
This will be Governor Newsom's third visit to the Camp Fire burn areas since the fire. Governor Newsom says, quote, "One of the things that also needs to be said is once the cameras are gone, the press is gone, the rest of us gone, we need to make sure we're there for the folks that have been impacted by these fires the next year, two, five, ten as we rebuild the community," then Governor-elect Newsom said on November 17. "So that's an important message I want to make as well, that we're there for the long haul."
- Governor Newsom to visit areas burned by Camp Fire Thursday
- Governor elect Gavin Newsom visits Camp Fire devastation
- Gov. Newsom meets with Camp Fire survivors
- What Will be 'New' With Governor Newsom?
- Gavin Newsom Sworn in as California Governor
- Governor Newsom releases revised state budget
- Gov. Newsom reluctant to restrict construction in fire-risk areas
- President Trump visits Camp Fire
- Mudslide prevention work underway in Camp Fire burn areas
- Flash Flood Watch Issued for Camp Fire Burn Area