The government shutdown has begun.
So has the finger-pointing.
Feuding Democrats and Republicans in Congress spent Saturday dodging blame for the paralyzing standoff over immigration.
“As federal agencies shut down both Republicans and Democrats try to pin this stalemate on each other.
“I think at the end of the day America will see through this. That it really was a Schumer shutdown,” said Kevin McCarthy, a Republican from California.
“Republicans in Congress plunged headfirst into the trump shutdown,” said Senator Chuck Schumer from New York.
Democrats say this is an issue about passing children's health insurance, long-term funding for the military, a disaster relief package for states hit by storms, and protecting undocumented immigrants brought to this country as children.
"Negotiation with this White House is like negotiating with jello. It’s next to impossible,” Schumer said.
Senator Chuck Schumer adds as soon as you take one step forward the far right moves the president three steps back.
The White House pushing back saying Democrats have only one issue and "the president will not negotiate on immigration reform until Democrats stop playing games and reopen the government."
“Chuck Schumer actually had the Gaul to look at the president and say I am giving you everything you asked for the wall, then when pressed admitted he wasn’t going to do it. That is the type of negotiation that Mr. Schumer has been engaged in with the president,” said Mick Mulvaney, Office of Management and Budget director.
Both sides digging in.
“I can't imagine a greater embarrassment to president ‘art of the deal’ than the fact that the government controlled entirely by his own party has shut down,” said Rep. Linda Sanchez, of California.
The White House says government agencies with enough funds "will stay open, otherwise, federal employees will remain home on furlough.”
The anniversary party at Mar-a-Lago for the president's inauguration will go on as planned Saturday night.
Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. will go in place of their father.
- Government shut down over immigration
- Attorney: Government plans to appeal immigration ruling
- Immigrant Mother Shares Her Story
- House passes bill to avert government shutdown
- Redding Rancheria Tribal Government Officials introduced
- YouTube begins flagging videos backed by governments
- Two cooling centers shut down at Disneyland for Legionnaires disease
- Chico PD shuts down streets while looking for suspect
- Butte County Animal Control shuts down Concow puppy mill
- Sewage spill shuts beaches along California's Central Coast