SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Governor Gavin Newsom signed emergency legislation Tuesday providing up to $1 billion in funding to help California fight the coronavirus.
“It’s simply remarkable. In just one day’s time, members of the California Legislature came together across party lines to unanimously pass emergency legislation authorizing over $1 billion to fight COVID-19. This money will provide more hospital beds and medical equipment to help hospitals deal with the coming surge and it will help protect those who are most at risk. I am grateful to the Legislature for their quick action,” said Governor Newsom.
The emergency legislative package provides a $500 million General Fund to help the state fight coronavirus and authorizes increases of up to $1 billion.
The funding will help with the following:
- Increase hospital bed capacity and purchase medical equipment to combat the coming surge in COVID-19 patients;
- Protect hospitals, nursing homes, and other facilities most vulnerable to COVID-19 spread;
- Provide lifesaving services to Californians isolating at home;
- Support local government to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in homeless populations and provide safe beds for people experiencing homelessness; and
- Provide funding to clean child care facilities that remain open.
It also provides $100 million Proposition 98 General Fund for personal protective equipment and cleaning for school districts remain open.
At 4:30, Newsom and state health officials will provide an update today on the state’s response to COVID-19. To watch, CLICK HERE.
- Gov. Gavin Newsom signs emergency legislation to fight coronavirus
- Gov. Gavin Newsom declares statewide emergency due to coronavirus
- Gov. Gavin Newsom: National Guard on alert
- Gov. Gavin Newsom wants sales tax relief for businesses
- Gov. Gavin Newsom: 5 big banks suspend mortgage payments
- Gov. Gavin Newsom considers aid for immigrants amid virus
- WATCH: Gov. Gavin Newsom shares daily COVID-19 update
- Gov. Gavin Newsom announces "California Health Corps" initiative to expand health care workforce to fight COVID-19
- Gavin Newsom Sworn in as California Governor
- Gov. Gavin Newsom signs executive order to provide relief to small businesses