WILLOWS, Calif. -- Crystal Higham Hill is an animal lover. That's why what she saw Saturday was so upsetting.
"It's a mystery. I don't know what happened," says Hill, as she holds her small chihuahua. She's standing in the spot where she has returned three times since Saturday. Her sister, a postal worker, had alerted her that the dogs were there, but she hadn't realized they were dead. She grabbed some water and jumped in her truck to try and save them from the hot sun, but when she pulled up, she realized they were dead.
"There's an awful lot of blood for two small dogs, look around you," she says, pointing to dried pools and blood splatter across half of County Road 48.
Hill says the dogs appeared to be a small breed, possibly chihuahua or terrier. They were both on their backs, next to each other, and appeared to have been gutted. Off the road was a medium-sized dog kennel filled with feces, door unlocked, with a large bag of dog food against it. "Obviously someone was disposing of their dogs in the hot sun," she says. "You can look at the location and you can see there are no trees that they put them under...It's devastating. I would never dream of doing that to an animal."
- Glenn Co Mystery: Two Dogs Found "Gutted" on County Road
- Glenn County Road Closures
- Road closures in Glenn County
- Glenn County Election Results
- Glenn County Fair Preps
- Glenn County air pollution advisory
- Signs, barricades missing from flooded roads in Glenn County
- Traffic alert: Road work causes delays in Glenn County
- Fatal Crash Victim in Glenn County Identified
- Glenn County Sheriff Arrests Drug Felon