Photo Gallery 1 Images
Chico, Calif.-- The US Secret Service is warning motorists, businesses and law enforcement that they're seeing a surge in thieves stealing credit information at gas pumps.
It's something businesses can try to prevent -- but credit card users should be on the lookout as well.
"My bank gives me alerts when there's some type of fraud, my credit card from Costco does the same thing," said Al Gonzales.
"There's just all kinds of things that we've never thought of before - it's not going away, we just have to be more careful," said Bob Duchala.
"I've had my card compromised several times and the bank always takes care of it, but there's so many thieves out there. I hate it," said Lennie Wood.
Federal investigators say this type of theft is on the rise, especially around any holiday because more people are traveling.
This past weekend, the Secret Service scoped out gas stations in 21 states to look for the devices - what they found is scary: 59 skimmers from 85 locations during the initiative.
Gas stations like AM-PM on East Avenue in Chico work hard to keep this from happening.
"We check and make sure there's nothing over it, check the numbers - because people put things on them to steal your identity," said employee Stephanee Stone.
"We don't take credit cards but if they do they have to put their zip code in and if it doesn't work out here they have to go inside and if their ID doesn't match the credit card they have to go inside."
We asked her, "Do you have recommendations for people, what to look for?"
"Look at it and make sure because you can tell if something is there if there's something there you will be able to take it off," said Stone.
We asked, "Why is customer protection so important to you?"
"If it was me I would be very mad, for their safety... that's their money, they worked for it, they don't want other people stealing it, nothing's free in life," said Stone.
- Gas Station, Travelers On Lookout for Credit Card Scammers
- Anderson Police Investgate Credit Card Fraud at Local Gas Station
- Be on the Lookout for Runaway Teen
- BLM hiring hotshots, dispatchers, firefighters and a fire lookout
- Appeals court limits California credit card surcharge law
- Oroville Marijuana Investigation Leads to Credit Card Fraud Case
- Redding Police searching for suspect in armed gas station robbery
- SUSPECT IN REDDING GAS STATION ROBBERY CAPTURED IN COLORADO
- Multiple thefts at church, gas station in Oroville
- Update: No Bomb Found Near Chico Valero Gas Station