RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) - Police say a suspected gang member wanted for a murder and other crimes in the San Francisco Bay Area has been arrested in Reno, Nevada.
The East Bay Times reported Saturday that Cardell Waters was being sought in connection with the killing of 18-year-old Otilio Martinez, who was shot more than 50 times in Richmond two years ago. Waters was arrested last week. It wasn't immediately known if he has an attorney.
The newspaper says the 22-year-old is alleged to be part of a North Richmond gang called the Swerve Team, which authorities have linked to several killings, nearly a dozen attempted murders, and a number of violent home invasion robberies.
Martinez was a college student who police say was not affiliated with gangs.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fugitive California gang member caught in Nevada
- 6.4 quake rattles Southern California and Nevada
- Gang members found guilty of shooting up Chico neighborhood
- Chico Couple Says Gang Members Regularly Threaten Them
- Nearly 50 arrested in Northern California gang crackdown
- White supremacist gang leader slain in California prison
- Trump scolds California for 'no help' in fighting MS-13 gang
- 126 Nevada inmates bound for California to fight fires
- Dozens of Gang Members Behind Bars After Multi-County Crime Bust
- Red Bluff gang member pleaded not guilty to weapons and embezzlement charges