Biggs, Calif.—“I’m shocked and devastated,” said Kevin Rhoades, friend of 49-year-old Les Mize who was killed after being hit by a car. He said he’s still trying to understand how someone could just leave the scene.
“I'm used to seeing him every night here at the house, he walks over with his germane shepherd and last night his dog showed up scratching at my door without him and I just thought maybe the dog had gotten away from him and he'd show up in a little while to pick him up, come in for dinner I didn't know what had happened," Rhoades said.
The California Highway Patrol around 8:00 Tuesday night, Mize was walking down B-Street west of Highway 99. He tried crossing from the south side of the roadway over to the north side when he was hit by a vehicle.
Mize ultimately died from his injuries.
"He was a good person, he didn't deserve to be on the side of the road left. He helped everybody and he really cared for people, he really treated people right and he's going to be missed by everybody who knew him," he said.
Rhoades told Action News Now that Mize leaves behind six kids, and had a grandchild on the way, and he wants them to know his heart goes out to them.
"I'm so sorry for your loss. Les will be missed by more people than you can imagine. He was a fixture in town, everybody knows him, sees him walking around with his dog, we all loved him and treated him like family, he treated everyone like family," he said.
The CHP said they believe the vehicle involved was a 2013 F-150 pick-up truck.
While they don't know the color of it yet, they said it will have damage to the right headlight and a possible windshield.
To the driver responsible, Rhoades said, "just please come forward and deal with the consequences, you know he deserves it, the family deserves answers. Just do the right thing."
Anyone with information about the hit and run is asked to contact the CHP.
Rhoades has been in contact with Mize’s family and has created a GoFundMe to help them with funeral expenses. If you’d like to donate, you can do so here: https://www.gofundme.com/burial-expenses-for-les-mize
- Friend remembers man killed in Biggs hit and run
- Chico homeless man killed in Hit & Run
- Authorities search for driver involved in deadly hit and run in Biggs
- Fire nearly burns down Biggs home
- Fire crews respond to Biggs structure fire
- Friends and family remember Redding brothers killed in Ethiopian plane crash
- Friends, colleagues remember late music legend Moriss Taylor
- Mans best friend helps addicts
- Repavement Project Causes Traffic Delays in Gridley-Biggs Area
- Biggs Rancher Hosts Christmas Benefit for Camp Fire Evacuees