UPDATE 4/17/2018 4:51 p.m.
HOUSTON (AP)-- A family spokesman says she died Tuesday.
The snowy-haired Mrs. Bush was one of only two first ladies who was also the mother of a president. The other was Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams.
Mrs. Bush's plainspoken manner and utter lack of pretense made her more popular at times than her husband.
She brought a grandmotherly style to buttoned-down Washington, often appearing in her trademark fake pearl chokers and displaying no vanity about her white hair and wrinkles.
She married George H.W. Bush in 1945. They had six children and were married longer than any presidential couple in American history.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press.)
UPDATE 4/17/2018 4:46 P.M.
HOUSTON (AP) - A family spokesman says former first lady Barbara Bush has died at the age of 92.
(CNN) - Former first lady Barbara Bush is in failing health, a source close to the Bush family tells CNN.
At 92 years old, Bush has been suffering for some time and has been in and out of the hospital multiple times in the last year while battling with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or COPD, and congestive heart failure.
The source said she is being cared for at her home in Houston and has decided she does not want to go back into the hospital.
The office of former President George H. W. Bush released a statement, confirming after a "recent series of hospitalizations," she has decided against seeking additional medical help.
"It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others. She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving," the statement continued.
The Bushes have been married for 73 years.
Bush is the only living wife of one former President and the mother of another former President.
- Former First Lady Barbara Bush has Died
- Hundreds gather for Barbara Bush's funeral
- Santa Barbara County marijuana farm burglarized
- Nation Says Goodbye to Bush
- Santa Barbara deputy uses anti-opioid spray to rescue man
- Forecasted rain triggers evacuation orders in Santa Barbara County
- NOW WITH VIDEOS - Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush dies at age 94
- First Lady Meets Students at Detention Center
- Pence Offers Nation's Condolences to Bush family
- Fresno State Professor calls Former First Lady Racist