A former Chico police sergeant pleaded not guilty in court today on a misdemeanor charge of assault by an officer under the color of authority.
51 year old Scott Ruppel now retired after a 20 year career with Chico police was arraigned today on a complaint stemming from an August 15th domestic violence call that he responded to.
The butte county district attorney says a police body camera recorded Ruppel grabbing handcuffed 21 year old suspect William Rowley the second around the neck as he gasped for air.
Ruppel will return to court on February 28th.
Ruppel faces up to a 10 thousand dollar fine and a year in jail if he's found guilty.
- Former Chico Police sergeant back in court
- Charges filed on former Chico Police Sergeant
- Suspect in Merced sheriff's sergeant shooting captured
- Chico police bring back street crimes unit
- Chico Mayor unveils "Community Court"
- Utah Sergeant Recovering After Being hit by Car
- 'Full Metal Jacket' sergeant R. Lee Ermey dies at 74
- Sheriff Honea holds promotion ceremony for 7 sergeants, 2 lieutenants
- Chico police investigate stabbing
- Butte County Superior Court Selects Chico Alumna as Court Commissioner