Former California State Senator sam Aanestad has died in Nevada County.
Attorney and family friend Barry Pruett confirmed to Action News Now Monday that Aanestad, who was 71 years old, died following a lengthy illness.
Beginning in 2002, the Republican legislator represented his Northern California district in the State Senate for two terms.
Before that he served in the State Assembly.
Aanestad was a dentist and oral surgeon from Grass Valley. He unsuccessfully ran for Lieutenant Governor in 2010 and for Congress in 2012.
Aanestad is survived by his wife Susan and three grown children.
- Former California Lawmaker Sam Aanestad Dies
- Congressman LaMalfa Reacts to Aanestad's Death
- California lawmakers talk fires with Pence
- California lawmakers OK whistleblower protection for staff
- California lawmakers vote on increased dam safeguards
- California lawmakers propose edible roadkill bill
- Firefighter working huge California fire dies
- Mystery writer Sue Grafton dies in California
- George Deukmejian Ex-Governor of California Dies
- Man dies in Northern California floodwaters