NETHERLANDS - 21-year-old Sarah Papenheim was studying psychology in the Netherlands when she was reportedly stabbed to death by a roommate.
News reports out of Netherlands say neighbors called police after hearing screams coming out of her apartment.
That's when officers found Papenheim unconscious in a pool of blood.
Police arrested her male roommate, who is accused of killing her, after escaping on the train.
Teachers we spoke with at Foothill High School in Palo Cedro on Thursday say they cannot believe something this tragic would happen to such a sweet girl.
Before the world had ever heard the name Sarah Papenheim, teachers and students at Foothill High School had the chance to enjoy her joyous smile and music.
The girl known as "happy pap" had an infectious personality and drive to help others.
"A very musical, dramatic, expressive enthusiastic person she cared very music for the music and arts," said Foothill High School teacher Mitch Bahr.
Her life was taken quickly this week when her male roommate allegedly stabbed her to death in their apartment in the Netherlands.
International News reports say she was found in a pool of blood.
The news traveled quickly to the community of Palo Cedro where teachers at Foothill High School mourned the death of one of their cougars.
"it's unspeakable," Bahr said. "It's unfathomable."
Sarah had taken band all four years of high school and even performed in a few plays.
For a teacher that had become family, Bahr was saddened to see Sarah's dream to become a psychologist and help those with suicidal thoughts end so quickly.
"She was really involved and wanted to study psychology and cared a lot about helping people cope through something he went through like she lost her older brother in a tragedy in Minnesota. He took his own life," Bahr said.
Family and friends are now sending their prayers online and hoping to help her family bring Papenheim body back to the United States.
- Foothill High School Graduate Murdered in Netherlands
- Chico High Seniors Graduate in New Stadium
- Snow and ice complicating travel across the Butte County foothills
- CHICO HIGH AND P.V. HIGH GRADUATION CEREMONIES TONIGHT
- Graduating Students Ready For Life After School
- Paradise High School Bullying
- PV volleyball team sweeps Foothill on "Fight Like a Viking Night"
- Businesses Prepare for Graduation Weekend
- California State Parks Rangers Graduate
- Paradise High School Resumes Classes