Chico, Calif.-- With temperatures still in the triple digits across much of California today, we are all under a Flex Alert.
That means that Cal ISO has determined that there won't be enough electricity available, and they're asking everyone to cut back.
From your lights, your coffee pot, keeping your cell phone powered up, it all flows through high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's and a small part of Nevada's grid.
And the non-profit, independent operating system grants equal access to 26,000 circuit miles of transmission lines that collect from solar, wind, water and fossil fuels to distributed electricity to consumers.
We have two centers in California and this whole system started 20 years ago.
The ISO matches buyers and sellers of electricity, and there are nearly 30 thousand transactions a day.
And right now, the demand is more than the supply.
"I'm very concerned about it, we're running into some serious changes in the way things work, we have population increases putting more demand on the grid so anything we can do to lighten the load and be more thoughtful is devoutly to be wished," said Carol Burr, Chio resident.
During this Flex Alert, Cal ISO wants us to really watch how we use electricity.
"For one thing, we have solar panels because we understand that we have more of the sun than we have of other things.... also we keep our temperature at 82-84, because when it's 110, 84 feels pretty good," said Burr.
"I encourage my friends and family to embrace whatever the habitat brings you - if you leave your windows open in your car when you drive, you're less impacted by that when you get outside, and 78 degrees at home is pretty reasonable, I feel like," said Harry Petty, Chico resident.
Don't put yourself in danger when we have triple digit temperature, but turn your thermostat up to at least 78 degrees.
The peak time of day to cut back in from 5 p.m.
So today, consider hand-washing your dishes, leave the washer off, hold off on doing laundry and if you really need to, get it done early.
- Flex Alert Today Across California
- Northern California traffic alerts
- California Senior Medicare Patrol issues fraud alert
- Covered California Bus stopping in Chico Today
- Wet weather returns to Northern California today
- Rain & snow return to Northern California today
- California Amber Alert canceled after 2 bodies found
- Dry & cooler conditions return to Northern California today
- Low snow brings major travel impacts to Northern California today
- Severe winter storm brings major impacts to Northern California today