One lucky North State couple is ringing in the New Year with a new baby -- the first baby to be born in Shasta County in 2018.
Skylar Day Brown was born at 3:41 a.m. to parents Amanda Hagerman and Nicholas Brown of Hayfork at Mercy Medical Center.
Measuring in at 20 inches, and just over eight and a quarter pounds, Baby Skylar was supposed to be born Sunday, but she held out one more day to become the first baby born in the new year.
New mom Amanda Hagerman said, "I was not expecting to be the first baby, or her to be the first baby born of the new year at all. But it just kind of happened..."
Family members say baby Skylar has her mother's nose, chin and lips.
Hospital staff say another baby born this morning was a close second, being born just one hour and three minutes later, at 4:44 a.m.
- First baby of 2018 born at Redding's Mercy Medical Center
- Baby Returned to Mercy Medical Center NICU following Carr Fire
- Blue Santa visited Mercy Medical Center today
- Mercy Medical Center provides disaster response training
- Mercy Medical Center Faces $30,000 Fine
- Rare red baby panda born in Australia
- Mercy Medical Center Relocates Infants due to ‘Carr Fire’
- First Shasta County Babies Born in 2019
- Sponge Left in Surgery Patient Leads to Mercy Medical Center Fine
- Mercy Medical Employee Continues to Work Despite Home Loss