CHICO, Calif. - Firefighters responded to a fire at a duplex in Chico on Thursday.
Division Chief Wes Metroka said the fire started in a fireplace. The electrical fan unit caught fire and sparked up the wall.
Five Butte College students live on the property.
Porter Sillars lives at the duplex and he said they left the fireplace burning over night and woke up to their rooms filled with smoke.
"We obviously knew there was something wrong but there was no fire, so we had to figure something out, so we just called as soon as we could and they put out the fire really quick and took care of it."
Metroka said the fire was an easy put out. There were no injuries, but some damage to the structure.
Firefighters had to pull out the interior wall and cut into the roof to make sure the fire didn't spread to the attic.
- Firefighters quickly knock down Chico duplex fire
- Vegetation Fire Quickly Knocked Down by Butte Co. Firefighters
- Family Displaced Momentarily After Oroville Duplex Fire
- Family Escapes Duplex Fire in Redding
- Early Morning Garage Fire gets Knocked Out Quickly
- Redding Firefighters Knock Down 2nd-Alarm Fire
- Firefighters knock down Palermo structure fire
- Chico Fire Quickly Contains Diesel Spill
- Firefighters quickly contain vegetation fire north of Artois
- Firefighters knock down restaurant fire in Lake Oroville