Firefighters quickly knock down Chico duplex fire

Firefighters responded to a fire at a duplex in Chico on Thursday.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 5:15 PM

CHICO, Calif. - Firefighters responded to a fire at a duplex in Chico on Thursday.

Division Chief Wes Metroka said the fire started in a fireplace. The electrical fan unit caught fire and sparked up the wall.

Five Butte College students live on the property.

Porter Sillars lives at the duplex and he said they left the fireplace burning over night and woke up to their rooms filled with smoke.

"We obviously knew there was something wrong but there was no fire, so we had to figure something out, so we just called as soon as we could and they put out the fire really quick and took care of it." 

Metroka said the fire was an easy put out. There were no injuries, but some damage to the structure.

Firefighters had to pull out the interior wall and cut into the roof to make sure the fire didn't spread to the attic. 

Chico
Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 66°
Oroville
Cloudy
69° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 69°
Paradise
Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 66°
Chester
Cloudy
65° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 65°
Red Bluff
Cloudy
65° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 65°
Willows
Mostly Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 66°
Northern California has had some light rain shower activity Thursday, but a more intense system will bring heavy rain and windy weather to our area late tonight and early Friday. Please drive carefully Friday morning!
KHSL Severe
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events