Update 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - One Camp Fire survivor spoke with Action News Now and said when he saw the smoke, it sent chills down his spine.
By 5 p.m., crews were working on mop-up in the area between Skyway and 20th Street on the east side of Bruce Road.
"Anytime we have a fire in the Skyway area, there's always the potential to take off," said Division Cheif Wes Metroka. "It started off small, started in the green… As soon as it got into the dry grass it started to move pretty quickly Northeast."
Eleven engines, some from Chico Fire and some from Cal Fire, responded and attacked the flames; even from the air.
Fortunately, winds were not like the gusts on November 8 and firefighters were able to extinguish the flames.
Firefighters will be on scene monitoring the area into the night.
Update 2:45 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13 - Firefighters said they stopped forward progress on the 26-acre fire.
They are still working on hot spots.
CHICO, Calif. - Firefighters are battling a grass fire on Bruce Road near the Raley's. The fire broke out around 1:15 p.m.
Action News Now has crews on the way. Stay with us for more updates.
- Firefighters to monitor and continue mop up on grass fire in East Chico
- UPDATE: Firefighters Mop Up Quarter-Acre Fire in Yankee Hill
- Firefighters quickly knock down Chico duplex fire
- Firefighters Contain Apartment Fire in Chico
- Chico firefighters put out motorhome fire
- Chico Fire Contains a House Fire on East 20th Street
- Build.com Continues Chico Expansion
- Chico State graduations continue
- Fire crews extinguish grass fire near Gold Country Casino
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico