BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The Butte County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the woman killed in a deputy-involved shooting that took place in Palermo Thursday evening.
According to BCSO, deputies were dispatched to the 2100 block of Stanley Dr., at about 6:30 p.m. regarding a woman reportedly trespassing on property and making threats to shoot residents.
Arriving deputies, Charles Lair and Mary Baker were at the front yard and found a woman identified as Myra Lisa Micalizio, 56, of Palermo, with her car parked at the driveway of the Stanley Drive residence.
When deputies approached Micalizio, she kept her hands behind her back and refused to cooperate with authorities to stop and show her hands, said BCSO.
Micalizio continued to be uncooperative with law enforcement and then went inside her vehicle on the driver’s seat, where she quickly started the car and accelerated backward at a high rate of speed, almost hitting Deputy Lair, said BCSO.
Fearing for his life, Deputy Lair was within six feet of the reversed car and fired seven shots towards the suspect’s vehicle.
At the same time, Deputy Baker fired six shots into the vehicle, who was standing nearby, since she was concerned that Deputy Lair would get harmed.
The suspect’s car came to a halt after deputies fired and Micalizio was pronounced dead at the scene when medics arrived.
Based on the preliminary investigation, the elapsed time between deputies arriving and shots being fired occurred within 15 to 20 seconds.
BCSO said both deputies did not turn their body cameras on during the shooting, because the situation was rapidly evolved.
An autopsy will be conducted by the Sacramento County Coroner's Office.
More information will be released from the Butte County District Attorney’s Office when the investigation is completed.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Female suspect ID’d in fatal Palermo deputy-involved shooting
- BCSO: Deputy-involved Shooting, Suspect Killed
- Palermo Mobile Home Fire
- Deputies ID father fatally shot at California camping site
- Sheriff's ID Man in Redding Officer Involved Shooting
- Two Cars Rescued from Palermo Flood Waters
- Drainage issues cause extensive flooding in Palermo
- Northern California Police ID Shooting Suspect from Montana
- UPDATE: SCSO female suspect in Anderson shooting found
- Hostage situation turns into deputy-involved shooting, 1 man dead