OROVILLE, Calif. - The only two female city council members in Oroville said they are feeling discriminated against because of their gender.
Janet Goodson and Linda Draper said they are the only council members who have not been assigned to any committees and they feel it's because of their gender.
Goodson and Draper said they have been a part of the council for two years and have been on many committees. However, last Tuesday they were abruptly removed from their committees by Mayor Chuck Reynolds and not assigned to any new ones, leaving the remaining five male council members to take on their roles.
"For me, it's actually the first time in my life that I've ever really felt discriminated against for being a woman," Draper said.
Reynolds said his decision was based on their performance in previous committee positions.
"I'm really offended that this is even being suggested," Reynolds said. "It's the go-to when there has been non-performance by anyone. This is obviously just a go-to to try to apply pressure or get attention."
Goodson and Draper said they're concerned the appointments are a disservice to voters because all of the committee members are white men with no women or ethnicity represented.
Community member Don Fultz said that he thinks the diversity of opinion is what makes government work.
"I'm essentially seeing conservative, evangelical influence and they just don't want any other point of view," Schultz said.
Both said, however, that they remain committed to serving on the city council.
- Female city council members in Oroville claim gender discrimination
- Battle brewing between Oroville City Council members and the mayor
- Oroville City Council Meeting moved
- Oroville City Council controversy continues
- US women's soccer team members sue US Soccer for gender discrimination
- Oroville City Council to reconsider marijuana ban
- Oroville City Council Considers New Sales Tax
- Oroville City Council Holds Special Meeting
- Oroville City Council Censures Mayor, Again
- Oroville City Council Introduces Two Cannabis Ordinances