PARADISE, Calif. -- Paradise High School senior, Gretchen Cassing, became the first female in the high school's history to score points during a varsity football game last Friday.
Cassing has only been with the team for six weeks, but she's already paving the way for herself and other females in this sport.
Cassing is a kicker. She scored two points for the Bobcats who were up against the Orland Trojans on Friday.
She joined the team after Head Varsity Coach Rick Prinz saw her kicking skills at football camp.
"She has not kicked live except in practice, nothing in the scrimmage that we had. So I was just hoping for a great outcome for her. She's worked hard and deserved it, that's what happened, so it was very exciting for her, us, as coaches and the players," said Prinz.
Cassing is on the sports medicine team as an athletic trainer and plays on the Paradise High school soccer team.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Female Kicker Makes History at Paradise High
- Paradise High School Bullying
- Paradise High School Resumes Classes
- Paradise High School Survives Camp Fire
- Paradise High School Resumes Classes Jan. 8
- President Trump Signs Paradise High School Hat
- Paradise High School gets piece of high tech learning equipment
- The first African-American female mayor in Chicago history will be Lori Lightfoot
- Love Paradise seeks volunteers for Make a Difference Day
- "Love Paradise" Making A Difference Friday and Saturday