Photo Gallery 2 Images
Chico, Calif.—On Wednesday just before 10 p.m. Chico Police received several 911 calls claiming someone fired a handgun in the area of Risa Way.
Several officers responded to the area and found the person matching the description.
Police identified Shawn Newman on a balcony of an apartment complex, and detained him without incident.
Witnesses said that they saw Newman discharge his gun into the ground near the apartments.
Police found Newman in possession of cocaine, and had just dropped a backpack containing a loaded gun.
Newman is a multiple time convicted felon.
Officers also found a live round and an expended casing on the sidewalk in front of the apartment building.
Newman appeared to be intoxicated and was found in possession of narcotics.
Thankfully there were no injuries from this incident.
Newman will be charged with felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition, possession of a controlled narcotic, and reckless discharge of a firearm near an inhabited dwelling.
- Felon arrested after Firing Gun in Residential Area
- Redding Residential Burglary Arrest
- Redding Police: Felon Arrested for Gun Possession
- Felon Arrested with Loaded Firearm
- Authorities arrest prior felon on gun possession, drug charges
- Stabbing near residential area leaves 1 man injured
- Wanted felon arrested in Humboldt County
- Chico Police Arrest Wanted Felon after Standoff
- Two Wanted Felons Arrested During Traffic Stop
- Glenn County Sheriff Arrests Drug Felon