10:50 a.m. UPDATE: Highway 99 is back open now. We'll have more during our noon newscast with Linda Watkins-Bennet
The California Highway Patrol is confirming a fatal crash north of Biggs blocking both lanes of traffic highway 99 near Hamilton Road.
The CHP says a head-on crash between involved three vehicles happened at around 5:55 a.m. Friday morning. Officers on scene tell our reporter a man driving a stolen Honda erratically on southbound Highway 99. The Honda was confirmed stolen with the Oroville Police Department. They say another man driving northbound on Highway 99 saw the headlights of the Honday coming towards him, and veered to avoid the car. It was then his car was side-swiped by the Honda. A man in a red SUV and towing a car in the southbound lane was then hit head-on by the man in the Honda.
The man in the SUV had moderate injuries. His dog was in the vehicle with him and is reportedly uninjured. The CHP tells us the man in the Honda died at the scene.
Both lanes of Highway 99 in the area of Hamilton Road north of Biggs is currently blocked, and experiencing a major back up in traffic.
We have a reporter on the way to the scene now to bring us updates. This is a developing story, check back for more details.
- HWY 99 NOW OPEN: Fatal head on crash near Biggs blocking both lanes of Hwy 99
- CHP confirms fatal crash blocking both lanes of Hwy 99 near Hwy 162 junction
- Yuba City Woman Dies From Fatal Crash on Hwy 99
- One dead after head-on crash at northbound Hwy 99
- Hwy 99 reopened after logging truck rollover
- Debris on Hwy 99 creates dangerous hazard for drivers
- 400-Acre Fire Rips Through Butte County Farmland near Hwy 99
- One Person Killed in Head-On Crash on HWY 99 Near Richvale
- GoFundMe page created for the woman who survived hwy 99 head-on crash
- Crash blocking lane of Southbound Highway 99 south of Chico