Last April, according to investigators, Myra Micalizio pulled into the driveway of a Palermo home where she didn't know the residents, and she refused to leave. Residents say she threatened to shoot them, though it was later determined she didn't have a weapon.
Her family says at the scene, Micalizio also made outlandish statements that indicated she was having some sort of mental health breakdown.
Though she'd always been gentle and loving, they say she'd often claimed to have imaginary friends, and she battled depression and other mental health issues.
When two Butte County deputies arrived, they say Micalizio refused to listen to their commands to put her hands in the air. Instead, she got into her car and backed swiftly towards deputies. They fired several shots, killing her.
At the time, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said that body camera video wasn't recorded because deputies said the situation escalated so quickly, they didn't have time to turn their cameras on.
Micalizio's family says by filing a civil suit against the Butte County Sheriff's Office, they hope to prompt a change in training, both in communications with dispatchers, and with how law enforcement in Butte County responds to people in the midst of a mental health crisis.
They say with better training, the situation should have and could have turned out differently, and Micalizio would still be alive.
The two deputies involved in the shooting are back on duty.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey says this case is still under investigation, and he cannot comment on it at this time.
Micalizio's family has created a Facebook page to raise awareness about her death. Click this link for more information:
- Family files wrongful death suit against Butte County Sheriff's Office
- Wrongful Death Suit Targets Utility Over Fire
- Family of Stephon Clark Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- PG&E Faces Wrongful Death Suit After Camp Fire
- Butte Co. Sheriff's Office Investigating Attempted Kidnappings
- Update: Butte County Sheriff's office detectives continue homicide investigation
- Butte County Sheriff's Office Busts Drug Lab in Cohasset
- Butte County Sheriff's Office Releases Camp Fire 9-1-1 Calls
- Butte County Sheriff’s Office arrest man for multiple burglaries
- Butte County Sheriff's Office records unit special hours