Family Escapes Duplex Fire in Redding

A family escaped a duplex fire in Redding on Sunday afternoon.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 12:11 PM

REDDING, Calif. - A family escaped a duplex fire in Redding on Sunday afternoon.

Investigators say a pet may have knocked over a candle, starting the fire on Bechelli Lane. 

One person suffered smoke inhalation, but otherwise, everyone in the home escaped unharmed.

However, due to the damage on the home, they can not return until repairs are made.

"Given the fire damage to the building and the disconnection to utilities, this place is going to be uninhabitable until it's repaired," said Craig Wittner, fire marshal for the Redding Fire Department. "Red Cross has been contacted to assist those misplaced occupants." 

Firefighters say a lot of house fires start this time of year because of candles, fireplaces, wood burning stoves and heaters.

Chico
Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 46°
Oroville
Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 47°
Paradise
Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 46°
Chester
Partly Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 21°
Feels Like: 45°
Red Bluff
Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 45°
Willows
Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 46°
The fog tucked us in last night, leaving for some surreal driving conditions on the roads. We see the potential for a repeat situation this evening for the valley.
KHSL Severe
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events