(NBC News) Facebook on Tuesday told members of Congress and the Justice Department has uncovered a political influence campaign with dozens of fake accounts and pages targeting voters ahead of November's midterm elections, and there is evidence Russia is behind the operation.
Sources tell NBC News the fake accounts have qualities similar to Russian hackers who meddled in the 2016 election, and Congress is trying to strike back.
"I will be introducing Thursday a sanctions bill against Russia that has everything but kitchen sink in it. It'll be the sanctions bill from Hell," said Senator Lindsey Graham.
"We are in a crisis mode. The Category 5 hurricane has been forecast and now we must prepare," said Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen.
Facebook says it removed dozens of fake accounts targeted at dividing Americans, a sequel to last year's deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, and a left-wing campaign to abolish ICE.
Facebook says the bogus accounts had nearly 300,000 followers.
Read more: https://nbcnews.to/2AtzV83
- Facebook Uncovers 'Covert' Political Campaign
- Redding neighborhood watch group uncovers drug house
- Raid uncovers deputy's house of horrors
- Redding Police uncover a home used for drug sales
- Uncovering History: African American Miners in the North State
- Facebook CEO's 2018 challenge: Fix Facebook
- Another Campaign Sign Theft
- Oroville Campaign Sign Theft
- Campaign Ad Controversy
- Campaign Propane: Operation Warmth