A former Chico High School teacher today pled guilty to molesting one of his students over the course of several months last spring.
52-year-old Halden Bret Calvert was in Butte County Superior Court this morning and admitted an illicit affair with a 17-year-old female student. The victim was a junior at Chico High School at the time of the offenses. The conduct came to light this past fall after the student’s parents became alarmed their daughter was having suicidal thoughts. A check of her diary and cell phone by the parents revealed troubling indications of an affair with Calvert. The girl eventually admitted Calvert had kissed her several times while they were alone in Calvert’s classroom and Calvert had touched her body during visits to his home.
The Chico Police sex crimes division began an investigation which initially brought strong denials from Calvert. However, after a forensic search of his and the girl’s cell phones revealed approximately 5000 text messages between them, a criminal complaint was filed last month and the guilty plea today.
District Attorney Mike Ramsey praised the girl’s parents in following up on their suspicions and contacting the police. Ramsey said the girl has been going through counseling and now realizes she was taken advantage of by an older trusted adult.
Ramsey also noted the Chico Unified School District was alerted to the investigation at the outset and they immediately removed Calvert from the campus, placed him on administrative leave and fully assisted in the investigation. Calvert recently formally resigned from his position at Chico High School.
As a result of his plea and conviction, Calvert will have to register as a sex offender and will lose his teaching credential. Ramsey said Calvert will be sentenced in the Superior Court on June 14, 2018 where he faces upwards of a year in county jail, a $5000 fine, and restitution for the girl’s counseling expenses.
- Former Chico High School teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Former Chico High teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Former Chico High Teacher Sentenced for Molesting Student
- Teacher Pleads Guilty to Fleeing with Minor
- Chromebooks for High School Students in Chico
- Redding High School Counselor Pleads Guilty to Sex Crime
- Student Sues Yuba City High Teacher, District
- Former Teacher Pleads Not Guilty to 18 Felony Sex Crimes
- Chico High School students donate XBOX to Camp Fire survivor
- Oroville serial rapist pleads guilty