Chico, Calif. -- Chico State is reporting a 1% growth in enrollment for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Barbara Fortin from the Chico State Enrollment Management Services said majority of the growth in the spring semester comes from new transfer students.
"Each spring semester we typically enroll about 1,000 new students, it's primarily incoming transfer students," said Fortin.
Fortin said this indicates more and more students every year are interested in attending Chico State.
Chico State sees a lot of transfer students coming from California primarily.
Fortin said transfer students who started their degrees at community colleges are also working to complete their degrees at Chico State.
"We do specifically see more transfer students who are completing Associate Degrees for Transfer curriculms," said Fortin.
"I came here because they have a good program for kinesiology and I really like the courses. Everyone's helpful here," said Xavier Moreno, a new transfer student at Chico State.
Xavier Moreno is a transfer student from East Los Angeles College. He is continuing his junior year at Chico State for the Spring 2018 semester.
"If you have the opportunity to come here, especially if you're from L.A. or San Diego, or even further out, it's worth it," said Moreno.
"I want to get away from the city and hopefully focus on myself," said Ply Teeravithayapinyo, another new transfer student at Chico State.
Ply transferred from Santa Monica College for the Spring 2018 semester. He is studying kinesiology at Chico State.
"I'm hoping that there will be more kinesiology classes and I hope that they will have later classes, most are early so they conflict," said Teeravithayapinyo.
- Enrollment increases at Chico State
- Student Fees to Increase at Chico State
- Chico State students vote to reject proposed fee increases
- Chico State Crime Statistics Show Increase in Rape Reports
- Chico Traffic Increases Following Camp Fire Evacuations
- Crime increases in Chico after Camp Fire
- Chico State graduations continue
- Passages offers Medicare Open Enrollment Workshops and event for Caregivers
- BloodSource Drive at Chico State