Recent high-profile suicides, including fashion designer Kate Spade and celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain have intensified the need to talk about mental health.
We spoke with Enloe Medical Center about a program that offers patient-centered psychiatric care to those with mental health issues,
The Enloe Behavioral Health program is a voluntary mental health program for people 18 and older.
The suicide rate has increased here in the north state in recent years.
“The suicide rate statistically has been increasing something like 33 percent since 1990,” said Enloe’s Lead Social Worker Jocelyn Beauregard. “Anytime we have a celebrity suicide, we see a spike up in the next four months, like 25 percent.”
In Butte County alone, the suicide rate is three times the state average. Enloe Behavioral Health is a voluntary acute-care psychiatric facility program in Chico.
“The typical client comes to us when they are suffering a crisis related to mental health, being severely suicidal, increase in psychosis symptoms, functioning as well as they used to be functioning,” Beauregard said.
The facility can house up to 26 patients at a time.
“A nurse will answer the phone, you'll have a chance to go on the phone and talk about what's going on with you, they can answer any questions, schedule an appointment, the assessment is free we can talk about if you are struggling,” Beauregard said.
The average patient stay is typically three to five days.
“When someone is admitted, they meet with a nurse who goes through their whole back history, they stay with us and rule out any medical causes,” Beauregard said.
Programs like this one hope to address the stigma around mental health and asking for help.
“That stigma keeps people from getting help, that hopelessness, when you're in it, you're in a dark hole. As a community, we need to pull people up,” she said.
- Enloe Medical Center mental health support group connects sufferers with help
- Enloe Medical Center Plans Expansion
- Enloe Medical Center Debuts 'Wall of Hope'
- Enloe Medical Center Free Flu Vaccinations
- Former Enloe Medical Center Nurse Sentenced After Patient Death
- Contract Extended Between Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross
- Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross Extend Contract
- 700 participate in Enloe Medical Center's Heart & Sole run
- Man arrested for making threats at Enloe Medical Center
- Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross reach contract agreement