BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - A Palo Alto woman died on Wednesday after she fell into Rock Creek in the Feather River Canyon.
The Plumas County Sheriff's Office got a call around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday of a person submerged and trapped by the water.
Numerous agencies responded to the area near the Rock Creek Bridge, but they were not able to save the woman who was identified of Heather Noone.
Authorities said Noone was walked along Rock Creek with her family when she fell into the water. Her husband tried to pull her out but the current was too strong.
"Up there, the water is flowing very high right now," said John Gaddie, with CAL FIRE's Butte County unit. "There's a lot of little nooks between the boulders and everything, so trying to find a body was very difficult. They witnessed it at one point, but of course, the current might have taken it somewhere else."
Rescue crews used tools to search under rocks and crevices before they found a drowned body at around 6:44 p.m. The body was wedged beneath the water in between rocks.
- Woman drowns after falling in Rock Creek
- Quincy Woman Drowns in Indian Falls
- 'Rock the Ridge' rocks Chico
- Evacuation order for Rock Creek reduced to warning
- Feather River drowning victim identified
- Butte Co. Cal Fire Responds to Major Crash at Hwy 70 Near Rock Creek
- 1 dead after fight, 10-foot fall in Berry Creek
- Rock throwing woman tries to bite Shasta Co. K9
- 7.0 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Alaska
- Central California mother drowned children, hanged herself