LOS ANGELES (AP) - An infant has been killed after at least one dog mauled her in a Los Angeles home when her grandmother stepped away to get a bottle.
Los Angeles police say the mauling happened Saturday afternoon in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood. The nearly 4-month-old baby girl died at a hospital.
Animal control officers took custody of a Rottweiler, a Labrador and a terrier at the home because they don't know whether just one or more of them attacked.
Los Angeles police Capt. Lillian Carranza tells The Los Angeles Times that the family is extremely distraught and that next Sunday would have been the first Mother's Day for the infant's mom.
She says the girl's grandmother was babysitting and had briefly stepped away to get a bottle when the attack happened.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dog fatally mauls baby in Los Angeles home
- Los Angeles police officers deliver baby
- Magalia dog mauling victim speaks about attack
- Los Angeles Zoo puts baby okapi on display
- Los Angeles police arrest man after fatal music studio fire
- 3 people found dead in Los Angeles County home
- Wildfire burns near Hilltop Homes in Los Angeles
- Alaska authorities seek bear in mauling
- Caught on camera: Los Angeles purse snatcher
- Pro-life rally held in Los Angeles