Photo Gallery 4 Images
A documentary called "Rebuilding Paradise" and directed by award-winning director Ron Howard premiered at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival. The documentary followed a group of Camp Fire survivors for a year documenting their recovery efforts.
A few Paradise locals were flown out to watch the premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City Utah.
Read the synopsis below.
On the morning of Nov. 8, 2018, a spark from a transmission line in Northern California melded with climate-impacted conditions to quickly grow into a devastating firestorm that engulfed the picturesque city of Paradise, California, killing 85 people, displacing 50,000 residents, and destroying 95 percent of local architecture in what became known as the Camp Fire. It was the deadliest U.S. fire in 100 years, and the worst ever in California.
As citizens soon faced the damage to their lives, their homes, and over 150,000 acres in and around their 141-year-old town, they also did something amazing: They worked together to heal. The community went on to forge a stronger bond than they’d had before the catastrophe, even as their spirit of hope and resilience faced continued adversity due to relocations, financial crises, government hurdles, water poisoning, grief, and PTSD.
From the moment the crisis began, Oscar-winning director Ron Howard led a filmmaking team that would go on to spend a year with Paradise residents, documenting their efforts to recover what was lost — while their town became a de facto lesson in what we as a society must all do: Protect our environment, help our neighbors, plan for future dangers, and remember to preserve the traditions that unite us, just as these resilient citizens did when they began the important task of Rebuilding Paradise.
- A documentary about the Camp Fire recovery efforts was premiered at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival
- Paradise High School graduate to host premiere of Camp Fire documentary in Chico
- Filmmaker Ron Howard to Make Camp Fire Documentary
- Camp Fire Recovery Bills Clear State Assembly
- Comedy roast to benefit Camp Fire Recovery
- Camp Fire disaster recovery centers to close
- Survivors talk Camp Fire recovery and remembrance
- 8th Annual Shortz! Film Festival this weekend
- Sundial Film Festival kicks off Saturday