UPDATE 1:45 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - The Butte County Sheriff's Office has identified the suspicious suspect seen on surveillance video at Berry Creek Elementary School as a 14-year-old boy that lives in the area.
During questioning, the juvenile admitted to being on the school grounds and being in possession of a pellet rifle. However, he denied any desire to harm anyone or any intent to plan an attack on the school.
He said that he borrowed the pellet rifle from a friend and was using it to shoot at trees and cans. The juvenile told officers that his movements were based on reenactments from video games and movies he has watched.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office said it does not believe there is not an ongoing threat to Berry Creek Elementary School or its students and faculty.
The identity of the suspect is not being released because he is a juvenile.
BERRY CREEK, Calif. - The Butte County Sheriff's Office is investigating reports of a suspicious armed suspect on the Berry Creek Elementary School Campus.
The sheriff's office received a call from a staff member who said the suspicious incident occurred on Sunday around 3 p.m.
The school's video surveillance showed a person, who appeared to be armed with a rifle, jump the fence and enter the campus.
The person moved around the campus and appeared to be surveilling the location, according to reports. School officials immediately contacted the Butte County Sheriff's Office, concerned that the person could be preparing for a future attack.
After reviewing the surveillance video, deputies said that the suspect appears to be a white male between the ages of 15 and 20. He was dressed in dark clothing and had a large, dark backpack. He was armed with what deputies think was a small caliber rifle or pellet gun with a scope attached to it.
The suspect spent approximately 15 minutes on campus. He appeared to be moving around and surveilling it from different points.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office is actively investigating the incident and plans to have deputies in the area while school is in session until the person can be identified.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Butte County Sheriff's Office at (530) 538-7322.
- Deputies identify suspicious suspect on Berry Creek Elementary campus as 14-year-old
- Body found in Berry Creek; Sheriff's Office calls it a suspicious death
- Water Truck Fire Burns Driver in Berry Creek Area
- Grande Fire - Progress Stopped on Berry Creek Vegetation Fire
- 1 dead after fight, 10-foot fall in Berry Creek
- Berry Creek Fire Safe Council concerned over wildfire evacuation route
- UPDATE: Suspicious Death in Oak Run Identified
- Chico Fire investigating "suspicious" fire at south campus area business
- Butte County Sheriff’s office calls Berry Creek death a homicide
- NOW WITH VIDEO: Simmons Fire Burned in Berry Creek Area Now 85 Percent Contained