CHICO, Calif. - Butte County sheriff's deputies arrested three people and recovered a stolen firearm during a traffic stop early Monday morning.
According to the Butte County Sheriff's Office, a deputy initiated a traffic stop around 2:23 a.m. on Monday in the area of East 1st Avenue and the Esplanade in Chico.
The deputy asked one of the occupants to exit the vehicle. While he was searching Shelton Wardsworth, 31, of Chico, the deputy said he became noticeably nervous and fled on foot.
While running, he ran into another deputy and a struggle ensued. The deputy he ran into noticed Wardsworth had a gun in his pocket. The deputies were able to detain him and secure the firearm.
Wardsworth was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest, felon in possession of a firearm and possession of stolen property.
Authorities determined that the gun found in Wardsworth's possession was stolen.
Two additional people in the vehicle were arrested.
Shatana Goods, 30, of Chico was arrested on possession of drug paraphernalia and an additional warrant. Andrea Reichenbach, 44, of Oroville, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia.
Medical personnel responded to the scene to evaluate Wardswoth and the deputies involved in the struggle. One of the deputies was transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure but has since been released.
- Deputies arrest 3, recover stolen firearm during Chico traffic stop
- Convicted Felon Arrested with Stolen Firearm
- Chico traffic stop leads to drug arrest
- Deputies find loaded gun, drug paraphernalia, stolen identification during Chico traffic stop
- Stolen Property, Firearms Found at Yard Sale in Chico
- Traffic Stop Leads to Arrest and Stolen Vehicle Recovery
- Chico PD finds felons in possession of firearms after traffic stop
- Butte County deputy hospitalized after traffic stop
- Humboldt County Sheriffs Deputies arrest 3 after traffic stop
- Felon Arrested with Loaded Firearm