Photo Gallery 2 Images
CHICO, Calif. - Demolition is scheduled for the old Graduate building on Monday, Feb 17 around 7 a.m.
Since the closure of The Graduate Restaurant and Grill in 2015, no work has been done on the site and it has slowly become a local gathering for transients and others to vandalize and leave waste around the old building.
The state of the site has become a concern for many Chico locals worried about waste and hazardous needles being left behind. They have been vocal about wanting change and that change will be coming very soon.
Action News Now spoke to Phil Strawn, the project manager for the Graduate and he let us know their biggest challenge with this project and the plan for the future.
Strawn said their biggest concern with the demolition and new construction will be trying to keep the nearby residents of the neighboring apartment complex in mind. They don't want to be too much of a disturbance to them and any of the locals nearby.
Strawn said they did find used needles on the site but nothing that was able to deter them from continuing their plan.
Strawn said once they finish clearing everything out they will start construction on a new apartment complex. Strawn said this will include: "An apartment building, leasing office, parking structure, and a coffee shop."
This new project is still pending on a few health and safety permits before construction, but Strawn says they are hoping to break ground by the end of the Summer.
- Demolition for the old Graduate building in Chico set for Monday Feb 17
- Neighbors react to The Graduate Demolition
- Demolition Begins This Week at the Chico Salvation Army Building
- What you need to know: Feb. 17
- Chico State graduations continue
- "Scrambles" building in shambles, demolition ongoing
- Massive bridge demolition recorded
- Bay Bridge Demolition Complete
- Chico State Graduation to Impact Downtown Traffic
- Chico High Seniors Graduate in New Stadium