The Plumas County Sheriff's Office has positively identified the body that was dumped along Highway 70 on Saturday at around 4 p.m.
According to deputies, the body has been identified as 44-year-old Anthony Richins from Reno, NV.
Deputies say that preliminary autopsy results indicate that Richins died as a result of a heroin overdose, but toxicology results are still pending.
Investigators determined that Richins' friends dumped his body when he suffered a "medical event" and died after injecting heroin while driving from Reno, NV to Loyalton, CA.
The other passengers in the vehicle with Richins decided to dump the body and continue driving to Loyalton, CA.
The investigation is still ongoing and there has been no word about arrests at this moment.
- Dead body identified in Plumas County
- Victims identified in Plumas County DUI crash that killed 3
- Plumas County man still missing
- Small Plane Crash in Plumas County
- Deadly bat disease detected in Plumas County
- Plumas County Sheriff is investigating a body found on Highway 70
- Plumas County woman arrested for allegedly using stolen checks
- Power outage leaves hundreds in the dark in Plumas County
- Plumas County: 10 Arrested for Alleged Snowmobile Theft
- Murphy Fire Chars 100 Acres in Plumas County