CORRECTION: This incident occurred on Sunday morning, Oct. 21, 2018, at 9:37 a.m.
CHICO, Calif. - A 25-year-old Oroville man was arrested in Chico Saturday night for allegedly driving recklessly and crashing into a utility box that controlled traffic lights for the intersection of Forest Avenue and Amanda Way.
Chico Police said Saturday night at approximately 9:37 p.m. the calls started coming in reporting a reckless vehicle near Hartford Drive and Amanda Way, described a white Hyundai Sport utility vehicle. One person who called in a report told said they believed the driver may have been trying to run people over.
Police responded and observed a white Hyundai on Humboldt Road that was being driven at a high rate of speed. The driver turned southbound on Forest Avenue, and then the officer caught up with him and tried to conduct a traffic stop, but was unsuccesful.
Instead of stopping, the driver allegedly hit a utility box and attempted to speed away.
A short pursuit ensued, according to officers, who said they caught up with the heavily damaged Hyundai and its driver, Justin Wayne Melton, at the intersection of Amanda Way and Hartford Drive.
Melton was arrested for hit and run, evading a peace officer, driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI), driving with a suspended license, and violation of probation.
There were not any injuries reported, but the Hyundai suffered major damage, and the traffic light controls for the Forest Avenue and Amanda Way intersection were destroyed.
You can expect the traffic light at Amanda Way and Forest Avenue in Chico to remain broken for an extended period of time.
- Traffic Light Controls Destroyed During Chico Hit and Run, Oroville Man Arrested
- Traffic Controls Scheduled Through Chico State
- Chico homeless man killed in Hit & Run
- Fatal Hit and Run Reported in Oroville
- New Evidence in Oroville Hit and Run
- Fire destroys home in Oroville
- Control Burn Scheduled in Oroville
- CHP Oroville investigating fatal hit-and-run, 1 man dead
- Chico State Dorm Move out Will Need Traffic Control