The Walgreens branch on the corner of East avenue and Cohasset has come under the scrunity of the Drug Enforcement Administration for the high amounts of orders of the highly addictive opiods hydrocodone and oxycodone.
In an affidavit filed on March 2 of this year in U.S District Court and obtained by Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting,
the documents show over the course of three years, the Walgreens branch in question purchased close to twice the amount of both drugs as the next largest pharmacy buyer in the area.
The DEA determined the store bought nearly two million doses of hydrocodone and close to one million doses of oxycodone. In 2016, hydrocodone shipments to the store amounted to more than seven times the national average, while shipments of oxycodone were nearly five times higher than the norm.
After searching the Walgreens' pharmacy, DEA officials seized evidence that included bundles of pills, invoices and inspection records.
The DEA points out inspections are common practice, and do not always lead to the discovery of criminal activity. However, an invesigator in the case wrote in the affidavit, she was confident record keeping violations would be uncovered relating to the distribution of controlled substances.
The DEA won't reveal the status of the investigation which is on-going.
In response to the affidavit and the search of the pharmacy, Walgreens released a statement saying: "we are committed to the safe and appropiate dispensing of all medications and working together with federal, state and local officials."
- DEA Investigating Dispensing Practices of Chico Walgreens
- Man Flees Chico Walgreens After Armed Robbery Attempt
- 100-Year-Old Veterinarian Still Practices in Chico
- Walgreens pharmacy robbed of prescription drugs
- Oroville school district under investigation for discipline policies, practices
- Chico Police Investigating Crime Spree
- Reusable packages are coming to Walgreens and Kroger
- Police investigating "suspicious death" in Chico
- Police investigating two deaths overnight in Chico
- Chico police investigating two overnight shootings