Photo Gallery 3 Images
CHICO, Calif. - Thousands are expected to once again take part in the Butte County Relay for Life, to aid in the American Cancer Society's efforts to raise awareness about preventing cancer, support services for cancer patients and their families, and to fund research to find a cure.
On May 5th dozens of teams will establish camps and booths around the track on the Soccer Field at Pleasant Valley High School in Chico, which is located on the Marigold Avenue side of campus.
Teams will have at least one member on the track until the event ends at 7 a.m. Sunday morning, May 6th.
There will be food for sale and raffles, and sales of homemade items to help raise money for the Cancer Society during the event.
There will also be music, laughter and some tears.
Many teams have already been raising money through fundraisers and pledges. Right now there are 53 teams signed up. The goal is to have 60 ... with a fundraising goal this year of $195,000.
The theme is "Cruisin' for a Cure" and the relay will include a "Road to Recovery" homemade box car race.
It all kicks off at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5th with a lap around the track for survivors and caregivers. The Luminaria ceremony remembering those who have lost their lives to cancer takes place at 9 p.m. Saturday. It's a very emotional time, with candlelit luminarias surrounding the track and the walk happens in silence.
A midnight "drive-in" movie is planned, so participants are encouraged to bring their favorite cardboard car.
- Northstate Plastic Surgery, Windsor Chico Care Center
- Windsor Chico Creek Care & Rehabilitation
- Riverside Point Healthcare and Wellness Center
- North State Radiology
- Adventist Health Feather River Hospital
You can still register to take part here. For more information call Debbie O'Connor at (530) 567-5946.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Cruisn' for a Cure is theme of Butte County Relay for Life
- Butte County Relay for Life Hosting Two Cancer Survivor Receptions
- Annual 'Relay for Life' relay in Chico this weekend
- Relay for Life Comes to Chico
- Halloween Color Run for Relay for Life
- Chris Mulqueeny discusses upcoming Relay For Life in Chico
- Survivors gather at Relay for Life in Chico
- Going Bald for a Cure
- Butte County ICE raids
- Butte County Fire