CHICO, Calif. - Chico Police say ever since the Campfire broke out, nearly three weeks ago, crime has been on the rise.
"When everyone gets home tonight on our street I intend to let them know do a door to door and just tell them just make sure that their cars are locked," Larry Coleman, Chico resident said.
Chico Police Chief Mike O'Brien said the majority of these crimes are car break in related.
"Certainly we have seen an increase an increase in calls for service about 13% from the start of the fires to today so not a huge increase certainly we've got some things going on that people need to be aware of," Chief O'Brien said.
"It will be a holiday season unlike any other obviously we have not had an additional 20,000 residents typically during a holiday season we haven't had a situation that would come close to this so it will be a little bit different," Chief O'Brien said.
Tuesday night there was a car break-in in Chico on Gardina lane.
Coleman, a neighbor who lives near that street said it happened in the middle of the night.
"Nothing was stolen the trunk was open it's pretty confined over there there's a little there's a house nextdoor to the driveway where the car was the doors were open and the trunk was open so obviously whoever did it didn't want to make any noise by closing the trunk they just rifled through it," Coleman said.
Coleman gave suggestions on how to keep the community safe.
"I would say get to know your neighbors start a neighborhood watch its been very efficient and very affective for our neighborhood out here, Coleman said. "Let's not let this happen to our town be proactive and be involved and lets find some answers."
- Crime on the Rise in Chico
- Hate Crime Rise in California
- Violent Crime rise in Chico higher than expected
- Chico Police Investigating Crime Spree
- Chico street crime arrests continue
- Chico Police following up on violent crimes
- Chico police dispute recent violent crime statistics
- Chico police release 2017 crime statistics
- Witnesses Recount Moments during Chico Crime Spree
- Chico Police Department conducts crime sweep