REDDING, Calif. – The Shasta County Court is pausing new jury trials through December, due to rising coronavirus concerns.
Shasta County Executive Officer Melissa Fowler-Bradley said Tuesday new jurors will not be brought in, but existing trials are going to go on as planned.
This is due to the increase of virus cases in the county, Bradley said. Several more jurors have reported that they tested positive for Covid-19 or are self-quarantining.
Bradley says the jury trials are problematic, because if a juror is exposed to Covid-19, they cannot appear, and this could affect the outcome of a case. She added, there was a case earlier this week where a mistrial was declared, as there were not enough jurors to continue the trial. Bradley did not answer any further questions from Action News Now regarding the mistrial, as it is a pending case.
Jurors that were scheduled for December dates will be summoned again in six months, according to a news release from the court.
This is the second time jury trials in the county have been paused due to the coronavirus pandemic. The first was in March during the initial stay-at-home order.