TEHAMA COUNTY, Calif. - A Tehama County court has found Erik Deno, a Corning man accused of murdering his mother, incompetent to stand trial.
Based on the results of a psychological examination, Deno was found by the court to be incompetent to stand trial and was placed in a locked State hospital to receive treatment.
The investigation into this case began on Oct. 8, 2018, when the Corning Police Department was called for a welfare check in the area of Marty Couty and Marguerite Avenue due to reports of a man saying he needed help hiding a body.
Officers arrived on scene and found Deno at his home, who told authorities he killed a person named Angelika and put her body in a trash can outside of the home.
She was later identified as Angelika Deno, Erik's mother. Forensic evidence also revealed that she died as a result of being strangled.
Officers placed Erik Deno under arrest at his home on Oct. 8.
During the investigation, he admitted to having killed someone named Angelika, who he said was squatting at his home. Authorities also noted that Deno made numerous nonsensical statements to investigators, which made them question whether he was competent to stand trial.
Deno will remain in the locked State hospital for the purposes of being restored to competency for the length of incarceration for the underlying offense, which is 25 years to life for first-degree murder.
In the event that he regains competency to stand trial, he will face prosecution for the murder of Angelika Deno.
To read more about this case, CLICK HERE.
- Court finds Corning murder suspect incompetent to stand trial
- Authorities chase, arrest Corning attempted murder suspect
- Suspect Arraigned, Victim Identified in Corning Murder Case
- Suspect in Oct. 2017 Murder in Chico, Competent to Stand Trial
- Chico Murder Suspect Appears in Court
- Oroville murder suspect appeared in court Thursday
- Cold case murder suspect back in court
- Oroville murder suspect back in court
- Corning stabbing suspect on the loose
- Two Killed in Suspected Corning Home Invasion